Marcen

Steve Smith should captain Australia again once Tim Paine’s time is up: Ricky Ponting

first_img India Today Web Desk New DelhiOctober 15, 2019UPDATED: October 15, 2019 13:00 IST Steve Smith will be eligible to lead Australia once again from April next year (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSSteve Smith was banned from captaincy for 2 years by CA after the ball-tampering scandal in March, 2018Smith has already served out his one-year ban and returned to international cricket in the 2019 World Cup”I certainly hope Steve Smith does captain Australia again,” Paine recently said in an interviewThe current Australian captain wants it, former skipper Ricky Ponting wants it, but will Cricket Australia agree? The question which is on the minds of every Aussie cricket fan is – will Steve Smith get another chance to lead the national team?.Steve Smith was barred from taking charge of the team for two years by Cricket Australia after the ball-tampering scandal in 2018. The 30-year-old has already served his one-year ban and made a successful return to international cricket earlier this year during the World Cup in England.Smith then made his Test return in the Ashes where he broke records for fun with the bat, scoring 774 runs in four matches as Australia retained the urn with the series ending in a 2-2 draw.Ricky Ponting now thinks it is time for Smith to have another go at captaincy as he is the best man for the job, but only when Tim Paine’s time is up. Paine has often been criticised for his poor form with the bat and questions have been raised about his position in the team.”It’s the million-dollar question: when Steve Smith’s ban is up will he go straight back into the captaincy or will he not?.”To be honest I think it’s up to Tim how long he plays. He’s the best keeper in the world. Whether that’s as captain or not that’s up to the hierarchy at Cricket Australia to make that decision. I’ve been on record already — when Tim’s time is up I’d like to see Steve Smith have another go,” Ponting told 7NEWS.advertisement”I think he probably feels like there’s unfinished business there as far as his captaincy’s concerned. He’s got to want to do it and obviously then the authorities have to say yes or no.”The former Australian skipper also exuded confidence that Smith’s batting performance will not be hindered if he asked to lead the side again.”If he’s captain again I don’t think it’ll hinder his batting at all. If it’s the right thing for the team to have him captain we’ll win more games as a result of that.”Paine, who became the first Aussie captain to retain the Ashes urn on English soil after 18 years, also backed Smith to return as captain.”I’m enjoying having the job at the moment… and I certainly hope Steve Smith does captain Australia again one day, and if he does, I’ll be fully supportive of it,” Paine told the Daily Telegraph.For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byrohan sen Tags :Follow Steve SmithFollow Tim PaineFollow Australian cricket teamFollow Ricky Ponting Next Steve Smith should captain Australia again once Tim Paine’s time is up: Ricky PontingFormer captain Ricky Ponting feels Steve Smith is the best man to lead Australia once Tim Paine’s time is up. Smith was banned from taking charge of the national team for 2 years by Cricket Australia after the ball-tampering scandal in March, 2018.advertisementlast_img read more

Security Council joins UN condemnation of killing of Guinea protesters

1 October 2009The Security Council has added its voice to widespread United Nations condemnation of this week’s killing or wounding of hundreds of civilian demonstrators at an opposition rally in Guinea, where some of the protesters were raped by members of the security forces. Council members voiced their “utmost concern” at reports that security forces killed at least 150 people when they opened fire at the rally, according to a press statement read out yesterday by Ambassador Susan Rice of the United States on behalf of the 15-member panel.The Council deplored numerous “blatant violations of human rights, including rapes in public streets in broad daylight,” as well as the arrest of opposition party leaders, Ms. Rice said.The statement urged authorities in Guinea to put an end to the violence, bring the perpetrators to justice and release all political prisoners, and it also called for a prompt return to the rule of law, democracy and constitutional order through elections scheduled for next year.The Council statement joins similar expressions of condemnation from Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay, who has described the scenes at the rally in the Guinean capital, Conakry, as “a blood bath.”The International Contact Group on Guinea, which includes Said Djinnit, the head of the UN Office for West Africa (UNOWA) and the Secretary-General’s Special Representative to the region, has also been insisting on a swift return to constitutional order following the seizing of power last December by Army Captain Moussa Dadis Camara in the wake of the death of Guinea’s long-time president Lansana Conté.The Security Council, Mr. Ban and the contact group have also stressed the need for members of the military junta, the National Council for Democracy and Development (known by its French acronym, CNDD), to not participate in next year’s election, in line with an earlier commitment given by the junta. read more

US Government eases military trade restrictions on Sri Lanka

The United States government has eased long-standing military trade restrictions imposed on Sri Lanka, the US Department of State’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) has announced.The DDTC confirmed that licensing restrictions on defence exports to Sri Lanka had been lifted and that it will now review licence applications on a case-by-case basis, the Janes Defence website reported. The sanctions prohibited the use of US assistance to support defence exports but excluded transfers of equipment or services related to demining, disaster relief, and aerial and maritime surveillance. (Colombo Gazette) The sanctions previously imposed on Sri Lanka were outlined in US appropriations acts in response to Sri Lanka’s civil war, which started in the early 1980s and ended in 2009.