Help by sharing this information May 30, 2017 – Updated on June 1, 2017 Mexico: Still no news on TV journalist kidnapped 13 days ago MexicoAmericas Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Organized crimeHostagesDisappearances April 28, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Mexico Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is extremely concerned about Salvador Adame Pardo, a local TV journalist who has been missing since 18 May, when gunmen kidnapped him in Nueva Italia, a town in the western state of Michoacán. Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state News Adame is the fifth journalist to disappear in Michoacán since 2006. The others are José Antonio García Apac (2006), Mauricio Estrada Zamora (2008), María Esther Aguilar Cansimbe (2009) and Ramón Ángeles Zalpa (2010). A total of five other journalists have also been murdered in Michoacán since 2007.Mexico is ranked 147th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say RSF_en May 13, 2021 Find out more News Receive email alerts MexicoAmericas Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Organized crimeHostagesDisappearances 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies Organisation The director of Canal 6 Media TV and one of its presenters, Salvador Adame Pardo is known for taking a critical line with the local authorities and has for some years been covering stories linked to violence and organized crime, regardless of threats and pressure from the region’s criminal cartels.Adame’s wife told RSF that the police have not provided the family with any information about the investigation although the family reported the abduction to the police as soon as it happened.“We urge the Michoacán authorities to identify those responsible for this abduction and to locate Salvador Adame as quickly as possible,” said Emmanuel Colombié, the head of RSF’s Latin America desk. “Adame’s family must also be given protection without delay.”The spokesperson of the Michoacán state prosecutor’s office said all appropriate measures have been taken to locate Adame. The Special Prosecutor’s Office for Crimes against Freedom of Expression (FEADLE) separately reported that it has opened a file on his abduction. May 5, 2021 Find out more to go further News Reports
Additional reporting by Emily Lawford.,The Cellar, previously called The Corn Dolly and The Dolly, has hosted early gigs for successful bands such as Foals and Glass Animals. The venue has been owned since the 1980’s by the Hopkins family. A planning application to turn the Oxford nightclub Cellar into a retail space has been withdrawn, meaning the beloved venue could remain open in future.According to the City Council’s website, the application to change the underground club into a retail space was withdrawn today after it received a high volume of objections.On Facebook, the club’s owners heralded a “fantastic outcome”, and thanked “the incredible number of all you amazing supporters for taking the time to register your objection, and also for sharing your thoughts on this too.”The Facebook post, since deleted, added that Cellar was in consultation with its solicitors “to see what the next moves are likely to be”.The original planning application, put forward in August by the nightclub’s landlords, St Michael’s and All Saints, intended to refurbish the space into retail premises. It meant Cellar would have had to close its doors by early 2018.The move provoked a petition against the planned closure which was signed by over 13,000 people.In response to today’s news, Femi Williams, a Worcester College student who runs Gun Fingers nights at the venue, told Cherwell he was “delighted” by the news.“Cellar provides a wonderful and necessary platform to celebrate music that isn’t immediately commercial – something that nowhere else in Oxford does in quite the same way.“I’m delighted it’s here to stay – Gun Fingers can continue to thrive, and it’s great to see all the new nights which are popping up across all different genres offering genuinely good music. The Oxford scene is looking up again!”St Hugh’s third-year Max Reynolds, who organises Dr Feelgood, said he was “absolutely over the moon at the news”.He added: “Nightlife culture is often disregarded as superficial and unimportant, and so it is heartening that it has been recognised as having a tangible value.“Well done to all those that supported the effort to protest its closure, I look forward to getting sweaty with you all in that hallowed basement.” The Cellar, previously called The Corn Dolly and The Dolly, has hosted early gigs for successful bands such as Foals and Glass Animals. The venue has been owned since the 1980’s by the Hopkins family.
‘Marshall Plan’ for Puerto Rico Outlines Modernization Strategy for Shattered Grid FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Washington Post:Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) will unveil an ambitious $146 billion Puerto Rico recovery plan he says will allow renewable power sources such as solar and wind to provide about 70 percent of the island’s energy needs within the decade.The bill, which has the backing of San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz, also calls on Congress to consider retiring Puerto Rico’s debt and would give the island billions in additional federal funding for transportation, health care and education in the hopes of stemming a feared mass exodus to the mainland. It would also allocate funds to the Virgin Islands, which were similarly devastated by Hurricane Maria.“This is the closest we have to a Marshall Plan for Puerto Rico,” said Ramón Luis Nieves, a former member of the Senate of Puerto Rico who has testified to Congress about the hurricane’s impacts.Sanders’s bill is highly unlikely to get a vote in Congress and is more generous even than the $94 billion requested by Ricardo Rosselló, Puerto Rico’s governor.Sanders’s bill would give $62 billion to help the cash-strapped Puerto Rican government; $51 billion for economic development; $27 billion for infrastructure, including new energy infrastructure; and billions more for education and environmental remediation.The Trump administration has requested $29 billion in emergency natural disaster funding to be shared between Puerto Rico, Florida, and Texas — but only a fraction is designated for Puerto Rico. That package is expected to pass.“More than two months after Hurricane Maria, in the wealthiest nation in the history of the world, most of the homes in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are still without electricity. This is beyond belief,” Sanders said. “Congress must work with the people of Puerto Rico to fundamentally transform its expensive, antiquated and unreliable system.”Puerto Rico’s energy grid is maintained by the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA), which has come under fire for what critics have called its slow and ineffectual response to the hurricane. PREPA drew congressional scrutiny for awarding a no-bid $300 million contract to Whitefish, a small Montana firm. PREPA, which filed, in effect, for bankruptcy last July, is the sole provider of electricity for the 1.5 million residents.Sanders’s bill, which would put $13 billion into rebuilding the electrical grids in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, would bring the debate about privatizing PREPA to a head. The measure explicitly prohibits public infrastructure receiving federal aid, such as the electrical grid, from being transferred to private ownership.Sanders’ bill would set aside $428 million in grants for homeowners and cities for solar panels and microturbines and more than $40 million for grants to improve home energy efficiency.“The case for renewables is that it’s the cheapest way to do it, and certainly the cheapest in the island’s isolated communities,” said Steven Kyle, an economist at Cornell University who has reviewed Sanders’s bill. “Since they’re starting from zero, they have a unique opportunity here.”Most engineers estimate that Puerto Rico could get up to 50 percent of its energy from renewable sources within the decade, according to Sergio Marxuach, public policy director at Center for a New Economy, a nonpartisan think tank on the island territory. “Seventy percent is definitely on the upper bound of what’s possible,” Marxuach said. “But, sure, if you throw enough money at a problem, you can do a lot of things.”Experts have emphasized that the federal government should not simply replace Puerto Rico’s old grid with a new one similarly exposed to catastrophic storms.A senior White House official told Reuters that the administration does not support rebuilding the original vulnerable grid. Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), who chairs the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, has backed rebuilding Puerto Rico’s electrical systems with microgrids or through distributed energy — but the senator hasn’t yet introduced legislation for doing so, according to a spokesperson.“It’d be a phenomenal mistake to spend federal tax dollars rebuilding the polluting, expensive, decrepit grid,” said Judith Enck, who oversaw Puerto Rico as a regional administrator in the Environmental Protection Agency during President Obama’s administration. “My great fear is FEMA will reconstruct the old grid — and when the next hurricane hits, it will all come tumbling down again.”More: Bernie Sanders to unveil a $146 billion ‘Marshall Plan’ for Puerto Rico
Just 21 minutes into the first practice of the season, profanity was whizzing out of the mouths of coaches and into the ears of players.“That’s horsesh*t,” Syracuse assistant athletics director for athletic performance Will Hicks bellowed at the team while stretching. “It’s the first day and you guys are moping out here.”By the end of the day, though, they didn’t appear to be moping to Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer. He was pleased with the overall intensity on the first day of practice.“To be honest with you, the thing I look for out of the first practice is just the kids having enthusiasm,” Shafer said, “and trying their best to play fast, play hard and enjoy the game.”Shafer said freshman quarterback Mitch Kimble made some mistakes in the pocket but responded with poise, and a few players unbuckled their helmets when they weren’t supposed to — which is why the team got off the field 27 minutes later than anticipated — but he loved the efficiency his team showed.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThat efficiency and intensity radiated as the team moved briskly from drill to drill.A boisterous horn blared at the end of each rotation during practice, as the players swiftly moved from one station to the next. One of the more intriguing drills was one where players circled around a blue pad with one hand touching the ground while getting pummeled with orange pads.Shafer said Syracuse got in extra plays and he was pleased with the overall fluidity of practice. He said the team got off on the right foot.“Like I told them in the team meeting today, the whole goal is to do the firsts really well,” Shafer said. “What I mean by that, the first time we do anything together this fall, let’s do it the right way.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on August 5, 2013 at 10:00 pm Contact Trevor: [email protected] | @TrevorHass
(Source: fokus.ba) Footballers of the Football Club (FC) “Sarajevo” yesterday hosted students of the Football School “Respekt”, and players and members of the professional staff gave gifts to all kids.“I would like to thank FC Sarajevo for a wonderful meeting with the students of our Football School. The cooperation with the FC Sarajevo lasts for a long time, and I can say that today has been a great day for children. Many of our students are cheering for FC Sarajevo, and they had the opportunity today to meet the players and trainers in the club’s top training center, which provides excellent working conditions. I hope that we will cooperate in an even better way in the future, “ said Emir Hujdur, director of the ‘Respekt’.“The Football School “Respekt” provides the opportunity for children with developmental disabilities, typical children and children which are part of the Roma population, regardless of their social status, to participate in sport and to have equal participation in football competitions,“ it was said from the FC Sarajevo.The Football School is primarily intended for medical and educational purposes, and the main goal is to prevent deviant behavior, obesity and to improve sports socialization of children.