Robert Earnshaw Robert Earnshaw is perhaps not quite the deadly finisher he used to be.The former West Brom and Wales striker, now playing for the Vancouver Whitecaps in the MLS, clearly still fancies himself from 35 yards – but maybe he shouldn’t.This free kick against Seatle Sounders nearly cleared the entire stand. It was a terrible effort, but maybe it will get him a call-up to Wales’ injury-ravaged Rugby World Cup squad! https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js 1
1 James Husband [right] Fulham are set to extend the loan deal of Middlesbrough defender James Husband.Husband has made four appearances for the club since joining on a month-long deal and Craven Cottage boss Kit Symons is keen to extend his stay.And Boro manager Aitor Karanka doesn’t foresee any problems doing so.“I think so because we don’t have problems (in that position) at the moment,” said Karanka when asked if he would allow Husbands to remain with their Championship rivals.
Former Holland midfielder Ronald de Boer has urged Manchester United fans to be patient with under-pressure manager Louis van Gaal, insisting his former boss WILL bring glory back to Old Trafford.The Red Devils currently sit fourth in the Premier League table and just six points adrift of leaders Leicester, but their position is perhaps misleading considering their form so far this year.Fans have become frustrated with the style of football on display at Old Trafford this season and the pressure on Van Gaal increased after Saturday’s shock 2-1 defeat to Bournemouth – a result which extended their winless run to five games.De Boer admits the fear factor has disappeared from Old Trafford but the former Holland international, who won three Eredivisie titles and one Champions League crown under Van Gaal at Ajax, insists results WILL improve if they stick with the boss.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, De Boer said: “Sometimes when teams enter a stadium they already know they’re going to give three points away, but it this moment that’s not the case.“I think that if you spend as much money as Manchester United have over the last two years, you can expect criticism if you aren’t performing. But I’m a Van Gaal fan, he’s one of the best managers I’ve ever worked with.“I believe in him, I stand behind him and I think in the end he will do it.“They’re only two wins away from Leicester at the top of the league, so they’re still very much in the hunt for the title.“We just have to be patient.”United were criticised for failing to land a quality striker during the summer transfer window, having been forced to spend £36million on the largely inexperienced 20-year-old Anthony Martial on transfer deadline day.And De Boer insists the lack of a 20-goal-a-season striker is central to their current plight.He added: “I think their problem is with their forwards. At this moment is they don’t have one guy, a target man, who can score 20 or 25 goals a season.“Also, Wayne Rooney is not a number nine anymore, he’s more like a ten now behind a striker. They face a bit of a problem in that sense.“One of the other problems for me is the age. The likes of Depay, Martial and Lingard, they’re so young and super talented, but you cannot expect these young payers to always play great football.”
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By The Associated Press SAN DIEGO – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency Monday for the city of San Diego, five days after a landslide in the La Jolla neighborhood destroyed a busy road and sent houses sinking into the crevasse. The declaration clears the way for the state transportation agency to request federal assistance for cleanup and reconstruction. City officials said the slide caused more than $25 million in damage to roads and public utilities. Private property losses were estimated at $22 million. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityPersonnel from the state Office of Emergency Services will deploy to San Diego to provide assistance under state disaster relief statutes. Last week’s landslide shut residents out of 111 homes overnight. Six homes that were destroyed or severely damaged remain off-limits to residents. People living in a seventh home were allowed back in with public-safety escorts but will not be allowed to stay overnight. Five houses at the toe of the landslide that went unscathed are still blocked by tons of dirt and debris. Officials said the street may not be cleared for several weeks.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“We are glad to be alive,” added her husband, Richard. “Our family is safe.” The Libbys were among hundreds of families throughout Southern California that began trying to pick up the pieces Monday after fires raged through canyons, foothills and valleys and destroyed hundreds of homes from Santa Barbara to San Diego. One of those homes belonged to Tracy Michaelis. On Monday, she stood in front of her charred Canyon Country home, clutching a yellow box of tissues as neighbors offered their condolences in hushed tones. “We are not alone,” she said while getting a hug from Carmen Libby. “We are all going through this.” CANYON COUNTRY – Two weeks ago, Carmen Libby dreamed that her house burned down and her family got out safely. On Sunday, that dream – or nightmare – came true. And as she surveyed her family’s destroyed home Monday on Camp Plenty Road – with the charred metal skeletons of the washer and dryer where the garage once stood, and the frames of two cars in the driveway – she tried to put it into perspective. “This is replaceable,” she said, staring at the remains. Michaelis tuned in for the news Sunday night and saw her home on Camp Plenty Road in flames. “I just stared at my house,” she said. “I was grateful because it kind of prepared me.” Before leaving for a niece’s baptism Sunday afternoon, she said her husband, Bill, told her to pack up some valuables. “I just felt like I was supposed to trust his instinct,” she said. She took their wedding photo off the wall, the Our Father prayer that belonged to her grandparents and the pearl necklace her husband gave her on their wedding day and put them in the car. “We are Boy Scout and Girl Scout leaders,” Michaelis said. “Our gas tank was full. The car was backed in.” Some area residents were luckier, with the blaze merely nipping them. Craig Smith looked out the window of his Agua Dulce home Monday and marveled at his family’s good fortune. Flames from the Buckweed Fire that erupted the day before roared up to his home on a hilltop road, but barely scorched the porch and singed some trees. His neighbor’s house next door and another down the road in Sleepy Valley were devoured by the fast-moving fire. “It went all around the house. We feel very lucky,” Smith said. “We were assuming the house burned down. A neighbor called and said it hadn’t, but I had to see it for myself.” Smith’s house is one of four rental homes in Sierra Bonita Ranch. The house that burned down next door belonged to the landlord, Dr. Steve Chang, an eye surgeon. Chang’s Spanish-style brick house, with a swimming pool and tennis court nearby, dates to the 1920s, Smith said. Smith was visiting his mother in Anaheim with his 13-year-old son when the fire broke out Sunday afternoon. His wife and 15-year-old daughter packed up the car with the family’s two cats and one dog, important documents and his wife’s computer. “She could feel the heat intensely through the window of the car,” Smith said. The home of another Sierra Bonita tenant, Barbara Adolph, also was spared. She planned Monday to stay the night – despite being told it would be a week before power and phone lines came back up, and two weeks for water. “The meters on the water pumps burned,” Adolph said. On Sunday, she drove with Smith’s wife to Sierra Highway and Mint Canyon Road and saw the fire approaching fast. The fierce blaze was creating its own windstorm, she said. “It was out of control, and the Fire Department was not there yet,” Adolph said. She packed up two dogs, a neighbor’s dog, her computer and purse and fled to Canyon Country, where she spent the night at a friend’s house. “It was so frightening. I thought I was so prepared. I had a plan, photographs by the door. When the time came, I couldn’t remember anything I was supposed to do. I forgot the pictures, my passport, insurance papers. “I just got out of here.” On Sunday, Steven Nevarez was driving furniture around Castaic, Newhall and Stevenson Ranch when he thought he should check on his house. “The whole mountain was burning,” he said. “It was jumping from spot to spot.” His fiancee and two sons weren’t at their home on the same street where the Libbys live. Nevarez took one last look around. He said he knew the fire was coming. “I just left,” he said. “There was nothing I could do.” When he returned Sunday night, his house was reduced to ash. Monday morning, he watered some hot spots, including a smoldering ember where he used to sleep in his master bedroom. “It’s crazy, man,” Nevarez said, holding a garden hose. “I can’t believe it. So crazy.” The remains of a newly restored 1981 El Camino sat in his driveway. “I was going to paint it sky-blue,” he said wistfully. Like Michaelis, Carmen Libby also saw her burned home on the TV news, immediately recognizing the house numbers. “What can you do? Pray and thank God we are OK.” As they rushed to leave Sunday night, the Libbys didn’t have time to gather many possessions other than passports, IDs and other documents. No time for her to get her mother’s wedding photo. “One minute there was a lot of smoke,” Richard Libby said. “The next minute we had fire on either side of us.” Carmen Libby rounded up relatives, jumped in the car and drove down the street. Ten minutes later, flames swallowed their house. Like her dream, Libby also had a prophetic thought during Sunday school class – just hours before the flames hit Camp Plenty Road. She shared it with her students. “If my house burns to the ground but He preserves our lives and we have Him, that is the most important thing,” she told them. “Everything else is replaceable.” [email protected] (661) 257-5253160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The company was founded in 1973 by Ralph Rubio and his father, Ray, inspired by fish tacos in Mexico, as a walk-up taco shack. Duke said the restaurant will celebrate the opening by hosting a VIP party, choosing a local nonprofit to raise funds for that night. According to Duke, the restaurant will also celebrate with a company tradition. “The first 100 guests get free meals for a year,” Duke said. “It is a total crack-up to watch these people line up. They do it the night before with beds and cots and sleeping bags and all that.” Other spaces in the shopping center are still under construction while the first business to open there, LA Fitness, began accepting customers in October. They will also hold a grand opening in December. Round Table Pizza, Panda Express, and Fresh and Easy, the American version of British Tesco Supermarkets, have all confirmed that they will move into the complex. A Kmart once stood at the site, but it closed and its building was torn down four years ago. “Close to four years, the center has been inactive,” Mayor Ron Beilke said. “They tore down that Kmart pretty immediately because they did not want to create an eyesore in the city.” According to Beilke, who owns a nearby Wienerschnitzel, the new building and restaurants should increase business for those already in the area by increasing foot traffic. “The more, the better,” Beilke said. “That area, that corridor is becoming a place where people are going to come and shop and eat and exercise. I welcome the addition to the neighborhood.” [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre “It goes pretty quick,” Duke said. “Over the next six weeks, we will be building out the whole restaurant.” According to Duke, Rubio’s is a “fast-casual” restaurant, a hybrid between fast food and sit-down. The new location will employ about 30 local workers, to be hired near the end of the month, Duke said. Rubio’s has more than 170 locations. The nearest eatery to the planned site in Pico Rivera is five miles away, in Downey. Rubio’s also owns locations in Cerritos and La Habra. PICO RIVERA – After four years of vacancy and a long road of construction and revitalization, another business has been approved for the shopping center at Washington and Rosemead boulevards. Rubio’s Fresh Mexican Grill is expected to open in late December or early January at 8949 Washington Blvd., in the Pico Rivera Marketplace, the same complex as the newly opened LA Fitness. Rubio’s is a casual sit-down restaurant with locations in Arizona, Nevada and California. “We’re very happy with the tenants that are coming in there,” Director of Community Development Jeff Brauckmann said. “They provide a variety of different quality options for our citizens.” The new restaurant received final approval to sell beer and wine at the location last week from the Pico Rivera Planning Commission, and company spokeswoman Linda Duke said construction inside the already-completed 2,600-square-foot building will begin immediately.
NORTH HILLS — Police arrested a 59-year-old man today after discovering thousands of images of child pornography in his two-bedroom apartment. After being tipped by a property manager who entered his unit to make urgent repairs, police searched Jay Henry Rosenthal’s apartment along the 15000 block of Parthenia Street in North Hills and found stacks of images of naked girls and boys. They also found more pornographic images in a Northridge hotel police believe Rosenthal used as a residence. He was arrested on suspicion of possession of child pornography. “This is significant because of the volume of pornography,” said LAPD Lt. Felicia Hall of the juvenile division. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat Kings Manager Lorena Marroquin said Rosenthal, who had lived at the complex for two decades, told her not to enter the apartment under any circumstances. But she said she went in to fix a leak from a broken water heater that had seeped into a neighbor’s home. Once inside, she walked over garbage a foot deep before finding images of what looked like children fondled by adults, she said. There were also images of a child dressed in a feathered costume. The images were in boxes and strewn across upstairs bedrooms. “The photos were disgusting,” she said. Neighbors said Rosenthal sang at a local church. Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact Detective Carlos Monteroso, the Internet crimes against children’s unit at 213-847-5358 or afterhours at 877-529-3855.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Former Arsenal manager George Graham has told Theo Walcott he must be ‘more hungry’ for first-team action at Arsenal to have any chance to making England’s Euro 2016 squad.The Gunners flyer was left out of the starting XI for both of the Three Lions’ recent friendlies against Germany and the Netherlands.He was left on the bench during the 3-2 win in Berlin, while he only played around 30 minutes against Holland at Wembley as a second-half replacement for Daniel Sturridge.Dietmar Hamann: There is a good chance Theo Walcott will not go to the EurosWalcott has fallen down the packing order at his club too, with persistent niggles and inconsistent form seeing Joel Campbell and Alex Iwobi both preferred ahead of him in recent games, while Danny Welbeck’s strong return has reduced his chances of being picked in his preferred position up front.And when asked about the winger’s form this season, former Gunners boss Graham told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “Theo? I think he has got to take a look at his career and say to himself, ‘why am I not first choice every week for Arsenal?’“Never mind England! I think there are a few players who have got to be more hungry and say, ‘I want to be a regular every week for Arsenal’.“Then, and only then, can they start talking about England.”
Kick-off is at 8pm in Stade de France in Saint-Denis 1 Euro 2016: Every Goal, Every Game, Every Day on talkSPORTThe final Euro 2016 quarter-final takes place in Saint-Denis on Sunday evening, as hosts France take on Iceland looking to book a semi-final clash against Germany.So far, Les Bleus have beaten Romania, Albania and the Republic of Ireland, whilst Iceland have overcome their minnow status to beat Austria and England on route to this stage of the competition.On the way to the quarter-finals, they have endeared themselves to a number of fans who wish to see the tiny nation continue their incredible tournament, although France will pose a real challenge.Didier Deschamps’ men are considered one of the favourites to win the entire Euros, and they appear to be playing at full throttle now, following their win over Ireland.What the managers said:France coach Didier Deschamps“The players know Iceland aren’t here by chance. If they’re here it’s because they deserve to be and have quality. Long throws from 35 or 40 metres out are like free-kicks for them and we’ve come up with ways to deal with it. Don’t reduce them to long throws, though. In open play they’re capable of playing it on the deck. Iceland deserved to beat England, and they did it through the quality of their play.”Iceland joint-coach Lars Lagerback“I always say to players and media that in football you always have a realistic chance. I would say that France are a little bit of a favourite, but I won’t call them a big favourite. Most important for us is that we go out tomorrow and believe we can beat them. If we have that attitude, I think we can cause them some problems.”Confirmed team news:France XI: Lloris, Sagna, Umtiti, Koscielny, Evra, Pogba, Matuidi, Sissoko, Griezmann, Payet, GiroudSubstitutes: Mandanda, Jallet, Cabaye, Gignac, Martial, Schneiderlin, Mangala, Digne, Coman, CostilIceland XI: Halldorsson, Saevarsson, Arnason, Ragnar Sigurdsson, Skulason, Gudmundsson, Gunnarsson, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Birkir Bjarnason, Sigthorsson, BodvarssonSubstitutes: Kristinsson, Hauksson, Hermannsson, Ingason, Finnbogason, Sigurjonsson, Theodor Elmar Bjarnason, Magnusson, Hallfredsson, Traustason, Gudjohnsen, JonssonFrance v Iceland is live on talkSPORT from 7pm (8pm kick-off) – check here for the various ways to follow the game
Jordan Ayew in action for Aston Villa against Arsenal Galatasaray are considering a move for Aston Villa striker Jordan Ayew, according to reports in Turkey.The Ghanaian scored seven goals last season after heading to Villa Park from Lorient for a fee of around £8m.However, Ayew’s goals were not enough to keep Villa from being relegated to the Championship and he is now ready to leave.Galatasaray, according to Fotospor, are interested in the 24-year-old and a bid could be placed before the end of the week.Villa are reluctant to let Ayew go, but they would reportedly reconsider if a club made an offer of £9m.As well as interest from Galatasaray, Ayew has also caught the attention of Bournemouth and Stoke City. 1