Left-arm spinner Chris Lamont, eight for 87, including a hat-trick, was Melbourne’s top bowler, with captain Nikita Miller, two for 49, as next best. Over at the Goodyear Oval, St Thomas are 178 for eight in response to the 163 posted by Kingston Cricket Club. Captain Carlton Baugh Jr, with an unbeaten 53, has led the way so far for St Thomas, with Jamie Trenchfield, 33, providing support. In-form left-arm spinner Paul Harrison, five for 33, has claimed most wickets for Kingston. Earlier, fast bowler Keno Wallace, three for 35, did most damage for St Thomas against Dennis McGarvey, 49, and Garth Garvey, 40. Unbeaten Melbourne and St Thomas are in pole position at the end of day one of their two-day Jamaica Cricket Association Senior Cup semi-final clashes against the University of the West Indies (UWI) and Kingston Cricket Club, respectively. The Melbourne versus UWI clash, which is being played at the Sir Frank Worrell Oval, UWI, has the former in command at 145 for one, 103 runs behind UWI first-innings score of 242. Steven Taylor and Trevon Griffith, both on 63 not out, will resume batting today for the visitors. Playing in his fourth match for the club, Taylor has hit five fours and a six, with Griffith also scoring an identical amount of boundaries. Earlier, the UWI were led by an entertaining 88 from national all-rounder Rovman Powell. The 22-year-old, who is set to represent the Jamaica Tallawahs in the upcoming Caribbean Premier League Twenty20, struck nine sixes and three fours and took UWI from a testing position of 15 for four. Jevaughn Buchanan, 53, also provided support, with national captain Paul Palmer Jr falling for zero.
Darjeeling districtKolkata, Dec 15 (PTI) The West Bengal police will be organizing fortnight-long football tournaments in Darjeeling district to rebuild police-public ties which had been affected during the 104-day long shutdown in the hills.It will begin from the local police station level this week.”We want to have good relationship with the locals. There should be trust and mutual respect. We hope that this football tournament helps us to rebuild our relationship,” a senior police official said.”We are organizing football tournament in the entire Darjeeling district. This tournament will help us to improve our relationship with the masses,” Inspector General of Police, Darjeeling range, Manoj Verma told PTI.The police is also ensuring that only local players of these areas participate in the tournament so that “teams do not get unfair advantage by hiring players from outside Darjeeling”.The first prize at the local, sub-divisional and the district levels will be Rs 10,000, Rs 20,000 and Rs 1,50,000 respectively.The tournament will begin from Tukvar-Goke, Badamtam-Lebong, Pandam-Phubtshering and Pulbazar-Bijanbari, areas in Darjeeling which still have a support base of GJM supremo Bimal Gurung.”We are receiving a huge response. Nearly 40 teams are participating from these four areas. There are several other teams in the entire district,” said a police official.Gurung is on the run since August last, after cases under UAPA were lodged against him in connection with the bomb blasts in the hills.Gurungs home at Patlebas falls under Tukvar area.In the football tournament spread over the four areas, the winning team will get a cash prize of Rs 1.5 lakh while the runner-up will get Rs 1 lakh.advertisementThe idea of organizing the sports event was taken from the past experience of the police in organizing similar tournaments in Junglemahal area – comprising forested areas of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia districts – once synonymous with Maoist violence. PTI PNT MM
The second half of 2011 will be “more or less a carbon copy of the first half, save perhaps for print advertising which could be somewhat weaker in QIII and QIV,” Anton said. Moody’s Investors Service says that revenue for Hanley Wood has fallen “below the level at which the company can cover its fixed costs and it continues to consume cash” and the publisher is very likely to face a restructuring “since the current business cannot support the existing debt load which was set near the peak of the housing bubble.” However, Hanley Wood CEO Frank Anton tells FOLIO:, “We strongly believe the company has sufficient liquidity to fund day-to-day operations into the foreseeable future–in short, we disagree with Moody’s assessment–and you might recall Moody’s is the same company that saw fit to rate securitized mortgage debt AAA.”Hanley Wood could violate its loan covenant as of Jan. 1, according to Moody’s, which lowered the publisher’s corporate rating four points to “Ca.” In May, Standard & Poor’s dropped its rating for Hanley Wood from “CCC” to “CCC-,” citing concerns over the b-to-b publisher’s performance and ability to meet covenants in the near future. S&P said it was concerned that Hanley Wood will be “unable to meet financial covenant step-downs in early 2012 without an amendment, a refinancing or repayment of the revolving credit facility, or an equity cure from sponsors.”While he wouldn’t comment on the covenant issue, Anton told FOLIO: last week that revenue was up in the high single digits while earnings grew 20 percent in the first half of 2011. He also said that while the print and data businesses remain challenged, events have bounced back (with all shows outperforming 2010) and the custom marketing business is on track to have its best year ever.
Qatar said Saturday a series of demands made by several Arab states to lift a crippling blockade were designed to be spurned and clearly aimed at infringing its sovereignty.”This list of demands is made to be rejected,” Qatar’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani said, referring to 13 demands placed on Doha by Saudi Arabia and its allies as the price for lifting an almost month-long “blockade” on Qatar.Qatar said it had received the demands on June 22 with just 10 days to meet them, which would mean they would have until Sunday to comply. However, the deadline has not been confirmed.”Everyone is aware that these demands are meant to infringe the sovereignty of the state of Qatar,” Al-Thani said at a press conference in Rome after meeting his Italian counterpart.Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt announced earlier this month the suspension of all ties to Qatar. They accused it of state support for extremist groups and denounced its political proximity to Shiite Iran.Qatar denies the allegations.Saudia Arabia closed the airspace to Qatari carriers and blocked the emirate’s only land border, a vital route for its food imports.Qatar has said the effects are more devastating than the Berlin Wall.Riyadh’s demands include ending Doha’s support for the Muslim Brotherhood, the closure of Al-Jazeera television, a downgrade of diplomatic ties with Iran and the shutdown of a Turkish military base in the emirate.The United Arab Emirates has warned Qatar should take the demands seriously or face “divorce” from its Gulf neighbours.Turkey and Iraq have backed Qatar in the crisis.Italian Foreign Minister Angelino Alfano said the government was ready “to contribute to any initiative aimed primarily at restoring dialogue and easing tensions between those involved.”Rome also pleaded for the five countries “to refrain from any further action that could aggravate the situation”.Kuwait is the official arbitrator for seeking a settlement, though the United States is also attempting to mediate.Washington has cautioned that some of the demands would be difficult for Qatar to accept, asking the Saudis for a clear list of grievances that are “reasonable and actionable”.
Kolkata: Two persons were arrested at the Bidhannagar Cyber Crime police station on Monday night for allegedly creating a fake website of state Tribal Development Department and duping several job seekers. The duo have been remanded to six days police custody by the Bidhannagar Court on Tuesday.According to the police, during October, last year, the Additional Secretary of Tribal Development Department lodged a complaint stating that they had noticed a fake website in the name of their department. In the website, a “fake” order related to progress for the appointment for the rank of Group D in the department was upload. During the probe, cops came up with several mobile numbers. From those a few numbers were identified but police failed to trace them as the numbers were not active. Cops recently found that some of the suspected mobile numbers were active. Their location was traced in Midnapore Town. On Monday, a team from Bidhannagar Cyber Crime police station went West Midnapore and arrested two persons identified as Diptish Palit and Jugal Kishor Das Adhikari.