江苏419论坛

T20 exodus hampering Windies – Lloyd

first_imgSYDNEY, Australia (CMC):Selection chief Clive Lloyd believes the exodus of players like Chris Gayle, Andre Russell and Lendl Simmons to the lucrative Twenty20 circuit has definitely had a negative impact on the development of the West Indies Test side.The legendary former West Indies captain said the absence of such players had left the Caribbean side with a vacuum and forced authorities in the region to undertake a rebuilding process.”You can’t fault them (players who have turned to T20s),” Lloyd told a media conference at the Sydney Cricket Ground yesterday.”The money that is being paid in these shorter games, it’s obvious that players are looking towards their future. And, unfortunately, we’re missing out, all those guys who we groomed have now left, so we’re left with a vacuum and we now have to fill that.”He continued: “People might say that we’re not a top-class side, but some of these guys [in the current squad] have only played four Test matches and we can’t bring anybody from home because they’ll be just as raw, or young.”Big Bash playersWhile West Indies have been locked in the current three-Test series against Australia, Gayle, Simmons and Russell have all been campaigning in theBig Bash League here for variousfranchises.Former Test and one-day captain Darren Sammy and all-rounder Dwayne Bravo are also involved in the Big Bash after having retired from the longer format of the game.Lloyd, who oversaw one of the most successful periods of West Indies cricket in the late 1970s and early 80s, said some of these players would have played key roles in the touring Test side.”That’s the situation we have; we have guys like Andre Russell, Lendl Simmons, Chris Gayle, Bravo and these fellas, (but) they’ve retired from the longer form of the game,” he explained.”I think somebody like Russell – surely we would have had a chat with him – but he has a problem with his knee and he’s just playing one-day cricket. Lendl Simmons, too, would have been a nice guy to have in the middle there because he’s an opener, (and) he plays spin very well; he would have fitted in fine with our batting.”But he’s not involved, so we’ve got to look somewhere else. It’s a bit of a sad situation, but I’m sure that our cricket will get better.”West Indies have struggled on tour so far, losing both Tests by significant margins. They went down by an innings and 212 runs in the Hobart opener before crashing to a 177-run loss in Melbourne last week.They face Australia in the final Test here starting today.last_img read more

Legal battle over Gold Line noise heats up

first_img Councilman Margrave has long been a vocal advocate for quieting Gold Line noise. He has participated in several votes on the City Council to pursue litigation on the issue. He is also the city’s representative on the Gold Line construction authority board, where he advocates for further noise mitigation. Earlier this summer, when pressured to step down from the rail board, he offered to resign if the pending litigation were settled. He remains on the board in defiance of his city council. A ruling last month from the Fair Political Practices Commission found that his economic interests are tied to Diane Margrave’s, despite their divorce. He is the target of an open FPPC investigation into alleged conflicts of interest. In an advertisement in the July 13 edition of the South Pasadena Review, Councilman Margrave who typically speaks to the media on Diane Margrave’s behalf asserted that she “has not and will not file any lawsuits.’ On Tuesday, he clarified. “I stated Diane Margrave was not involved,’ he said. “Now she is involved. I support her 100 percent.’ Gene Maddaus can be reached at (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4444, or by e-mail at gene.maddaus@sgvn.com. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week The first claim included some 60 claimants, each with property near the line. It was rejected, resulting in an inverse condemnation lawsuit with more than 40 plaintiffs. Diane Margrave was not listed as a plaintiff in the suit. It is still pending. The second claim, filed against only the MTA and the construction authority, alleges that federal law was violated in the construction of the Gold Line and seeks up to $220 million in noise mitigation. The third claim almost identical in substance to the first paves the way for Diane Margrave’s name to be added to the list of plaintiffs in the inverse condemnation suit. “I guess she’s decided she wants to participate in the other lawsuit,’ said Augustin Zuniga, the deputy county counsel representing the MTA in the litigation. Assemblywoman Carol Liu, D-Pasadena, led efforts to settle the lawsuit and the federal claim earlier this year. Those talks, which included Mayor Odom Stamps, have collapsed, Zuniga said. center_img SOUTH PASADENA — Diane Hamilton Margrave has taken steps to add her name to a lawsuit filed against the city and several other agencies to address Gold Line noise complaints. Margrave, who is divorced from Councilman David Margrave but lives with him, has filed a claim against South Pasadena, Los Angeles, Pasadena, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the Gold Line construction authority, alleging that the rail line has harmed her property values. She received permission from the city last month to build a 17-unit senior housing complex on land immediately adjacent to a Gold Line crossing. It is the second time she has filed such an “inverse condemnation’ claim against the city, and the third time she has filed a claim related to Gold Line noise. last_img read more