上海嘉定野草菲

Women of Troy snap eight-game losing streak

first_imgFor a team that’s been waiting more than a month for a win, what’s another 85 minutes?After sophomore forward Elizabeth Eddy scored in the fifth minute, that’s how long the USC women’s soccer team had to wait before the final whistle blew on its first victory since Sept. 4.That’s not to say the Women of Troy’s (4-11, 1-5) win over Washington on Friday wasn’t stressful.Senior midfielder Brittany Kerridge got the assist of Eddy’s goal — her sixth assist of the season and 12th of her career, moving her into the top-10 in USC’s all-time career assist list.“I can’t say enough about her performance,” USC coach Ali Khosroshahin said. “She’s been so consistent throughout her four years here. She’s just so solid and dependable. [She] makes my job easy as a coach.”Apart from that lone goal, the game was largely dominated by the Huskies (6-6-3, 2-3-1).“The game felt like an eternity,” Khosroshahin said. “Especially the last 10 seconds. They took forever.”There was a mad scramble in the USC penalty box for the last seconds of the game, but unlike in previous games, the USC defense held strong.“Relieved,” Khosroshahin said of his feelings after the game. “It hasn’t been an easy season for us. Our record really isn’t a good indicator of this team. It was good to prove that to ourselves.”In a change from what has been the pace all season, it was USC who found itself on the short end of almost every stat category. The Women of Troy were outshot, drew fewer corner kicks and had fewer Khosroshahin.But they found themselves on top of the scoreboard at the end of the game.“It was 100 percent [ours] to win,” Khosroshahin said. “[We] came out very, very strong in the second half. [Washington] hit a post and we sorta shrunk back, not wanting to concede a goal.”Goalposts have not been the Women of Troy’s friends this year, often redirecting their own shots out and their opponent’s shots in.“First time this whole year that the other team hits a post and it went out and not in,” Khosroshahin said.Freshman goalie Carley Pennington got her first career start and played all 90 minutes in place of usual starter sophomore Shelby Church, who has been suspended indefinitely. Church and junior midfielder Courtney Garcia were officially suspended Monday for a “violation of team rules,” Khosroshahin said. “And I can’t comment on that any further.”Khosroshahin said both players will be out for the remainder of the season, which continues next weekend as the Women of Troy host Arizona State on Friday and Arizona on Sunday for senior day.last_img read more

Syracuse’s NCAA Tournament hopes end with 90-66 loss to Louisville

first_img Published on February 19, 2020 at 9:15 pm Contact Nick: nialvare@syr.edu | @nick_a_alvarez LOUISVILLE, Ky. — In their lockers, Syracuse players talked in a low murmur. Some pulled their hoods over their heads. For months they had played like a team trying to put it all together. Then they tried again for 40 more minutes. But in that second half, the SU press failed, the bench emptied and the score ballooned. Louisville forced the Orange to reconcile their long-term hopes with a daunting reality. “I wish we were better,” Orange head coach Jim Boeheim said. “I wish we were doing something wrong that we can correct. But we’re just not quite good enough.” Clinging to a postseason dream, Syracuse (14-12, 7-8 Atlantic Coast) was steamrolled by No. 11 Louisville (22-5, 13-3), 90-66, on Wednesday night. Keeping in line with seasons norms, SU made it competitive in the first half. They cut into multiple double-digit leads and strung together enough defensive stops to make nervous the Cardinals fans encircling the court. But offensive turnovers and leaky high-post defense quashed another SU upset bid. Louisville totaled more points in the paint (30 to 24), rebounds (45 to 36) and assists (23 to 11) than the Orange. The Cardinals benefited from tactical (inserting 3-point shooter Ryan McMahon into the starting lineup) and schematic changes (continuously running a high-low game in the paint). The Cardinals thrilled from 3 and rode a tension-less final 20 minutes to end its own two-game slide. AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“The disappointment was our defensive breakdown in the second half.” Boeheim said. “We just didn’t have it tonight. “Cardinals’ shooters quickly found the 3-point stroke they’d lost in past games. After going a combined 9-for-51 in two losses, they converted 10 against the Orange. McMahon hit four 3s in the first half, each pushing Louisville further ahead. They mainly fed Jordan Nwora and Dwayne Sutton in the 2-3 zone’s soft spot. They were met with little resistance, whipping the ball across the arc or baseline for a dump-off. Sutton, who finished with three 3s, had converted less than one deep ball per contest. After Sutton rose and cashed Louisville’s first of the game, Buddy Boeheim was shocked, the latter said. The Orange thought he was only a high-post threat. It created more offense. After repeated possessions looking for a 3, the Cardinals went over the zone to Malik Williams. When SU defenders fanned out to shooters and denied backdoor cuts, Nwora rose for mid-range jumpers. Nwora scored a team-high 17 points after he managed seven total points over the last two games.Meanwhile, Syracuse developed a turnover problem against one of the worst turnover-producing teams in the country. Joseph Girard III threw two passes away early, and rotational guard Howard Washington checked in much earlier than usual. Hughes pressed, too, as he twice overshot Marek Dolezaj for what would’ve been layups. Buddy said SU took too many quick shots against Louisville’s press. “Especially when they were pressuring,” Boeheim said, “We couldn’t get by and make the play.” Courtesy of Dennis Nett | Syracuse.comFollowing the second turnover, Hughes bent at the waist and slouched before getting back on defense.SU converted five 3s in the first half but just two in the second. Cardinals defenders started doubling Buddy when he received the ball, he said, and triggered dump-off passes. Hughes and Girard couldn’t find the mark either (3-for-12 from 3). “I feel like we should be more ahead,” one Louisville fan in a black sweater told another when the halftime buzzer sounded, the Cardinals ahead by seven. They’d be appeased.Louisville’s offensive game plan didn’t appear to change. It just grew more potent. Syracuse’s offensive spurts paled whenever the defense couldn’t get the ensuing stop. The Cardinals kept it simple: pass to an open white jersey in the paint or around the arc. They went on a 14-2 run over a 2:18 stretch in the second half with dunks, 3-pointers and free throws. They led by 17. Then 19. Louisville ran the same high-low screen game in the paint, and SU didn’t have an answer. Sidibe and Dolezaj fouled out midway through the second half. Freshman Jesse Edwards didn’t fare much better. The 3s and dunks poured in and red-clad fans quickly trekked to the exits. As one walked out they said to no one particular, “We could get 1,000 (points) under the basket.” “It was a couple things (that went wrong),” Hughes said. “… In the second half we let them get dunk after dunk after dunk. We got to hold that down there. We have to stick to our principles.” SU now has a 1-4 record against ranked opponents with none others scheduled. It can finish the regular season with, at most, 19 wins — a number historically unsatisfactory for a berth. And now it’s facing its second three-game losing streak of the campaign. With the loss, the Orange’s season-long quest to the NCAA Tournament likely concluded Wednesday night. Not with a bang, but with a whimper on national television. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Cardiff final caps record season of trading volume for Smarkets

first_img Related Articles Share Top 50 clubs suffer €751m decline in brand value July 31, 2020 StumbleUpon Share Bet-at-home maintains 2020 outlook as regulatory headwinds loom August 3, 2020 Bakhshi and Shaddick launch ‘Art of the Possible’ podcast tracking US 2020 developments August 10, 2020 Submit Smarkets has announced a 30% increase in football trading volume across the biggest leagues in 2016/17, with £600 million traded on Europe’s top five leagues and two major cup competitions.Having accounted for £300 million of the football volume, the Premier League was by far the most popular league for trading on Smarkets. The rest was traded on La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1, as well as the Champions League and Europa League.Meanwhile, the betting exchange has predicted an even Champions League final between defending champions Real Madrid, and a Juventus side chasing a first European triumph in 21 years. More than £1.6 million has already been traded on the European season’s curtain-closing showpiece in Cardiff.The chart below shows implied probabilities from the start of the 2016-17 Champions League for the two finalists. Throughout the group stage, the implied chance for Juventus was half of Real Madrid’s, but now the Italian champions trail their Spanish counterparts by just 4% (48-52).Smarkets gives Massimiliano Allegri’s Juventus a 33% chance of winning in 90 minutes (2/1), with a 36% chance for the 11-time champions Real Madrid. A draw after 90 minutes is given a 31% chance.CEO Jason Trost said: “It’s been fantastic to see excellent volume, liquidity and growth across our top football markets this season, as more and more traders choose Smarkets as their exchange of choice.”last_img read more