A local celebrity was kicked off a plane, because of a crying toddler. Sarah Blackwood, the lead singer for the Burlington based band “Walk off the Earth”, was on board a United Airlines flight from San Francisco to Vancouver with her son and friend Wednesday evening, when she says they were told to get off the plane before take off, because her almost two-year-old son would not stop crying. Sarah Blackwood is also 7 months pregnant and an avid flyer. She has been traveling with her son his entire life. She says what should have been a routine flight turned into a nightmare. “He was more fussy than usual on this flight but that’s what happens. He is a kid he is going to cry.”She was then asked by a flight attendant to control her child on board United Flight 6223, operated by Skywest Airlines.“I am also 7 months pregnant, so I was holding him the best that I could and he was squirming and crying really loud but everyone around didn’t mind they were fine with it and very sympathetic. I knew he was going to fall asleep, I know my son and he did fall asleep. Then they turned the plane around and got up to the gate and by the time we were at the gate my son was fully asleep and they sent a lady on the plane to ask us to leave the plane.”Skywest airlines says “the crew made the difficult decision to remove Ms. Blackwood and her child from the flight based solely on safety concerns. Despite numerous requests, the child was not seated, as required by federal regulation to ensure passenger safety, and was repeatedly in the aisle of the aircraft before departure and during taxi.”“I was in a window seat so there was no way he could have been running in the aisles.” Children under two can travel on their parents lap and don’t require their own seat. Blackwood’s son is 22 months old.
Chief Bob Gloade of Millbrook First Nation said the community has invested in a cannabis company and is considering opening a storefront.“We’re focusing on the retail side of it going forward and we’re working on details in that respect,” he said, adding that for now the community isn’t considering launching its own production.“We’re still looking at a couple of years out before we’ll start seeing the benefits from an economic standpoint … but it will have a significant impact,” Gloade said.Sipekne’katik Chief Michael Sack did not respond to multiple requests for comment, but Rebagliati confirmed that he met with the community leader in March and again this week.Sipekne’katik First Nation in Indian Brook, N.S., has plans to grow cannabis and sell it directly to consumers, while Millbrook First Nation is considering retail locations, bypassing the provincial Crown corporation slated to control sales once the drug is legal on Oct. 17. ROBERT F. BUKATY / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS McGill University law professor Mark Walters said the situation raises important and controversial legal and constitutional issues.“Legal conflicts on this point are bound to flare up in many places across Canada,” he said in an email, noting it appears many First Nations are making plans to grow and sell cannabis.Walters, the F.R. Scott Professor of Public and Constitutional Law, said it’s difficult to say whether provinces have the right to prevent First Nations from selling cannabis on reserve.He said the “orthodox” legal answer would be that provincial laws on cannabis sales will apply on reserves, unless a First Nation could show that regulating the sale of cannabis was a custom, practice or tradition integral to its distinctive culture, which might be extremely difficult to do.However, Walters said there’s a strong argument that federal law protects a much broader right to Aboriginal self-government than the courts have so far acknowledged.“There is considerable room here for an interpretation of the law that would acknowledge Indigenous rights of self-government over this issue,” he said. Peter J. Thompson/National Post In Nova Scotia, the sale of pot will be government-controlled.“We have said all along that our approach to legalization is through a public health lens and that we will start well-regulated and tightly controlled,” a Department of Justice spokeswoman said in a statement.“At this time, we are not considering a retail model outside of the Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation.”The province’s stringent stance doesn’t appear to deter First Nations communities, with the Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi’kmaq Chiefs indicating it is exploring the economic opportunities of cannabis.Rebagliati said the Mi’kmaq community in Indian Brook has a strong plan, and he’s put together a “gold-medal team” to help them reach their goal.“The model is to go seed to sale and that boosts the margins quite substantially and gives them a competitive edge,” he said from B.C. “They came to me with their ideas and they are super progressive.“First Nations are looking for job opportunities and economic opportunities for their people, and this is a new industry that has a lot of those opportunities and potential for substantial financial gain.”First Nations are looking for job opportunities and economic opportunities for their people, and this is a new industry that has a lot of those opportunities and potential for substantial financial gainRoss Rebagliati HALIFAX — Nova Scotia First Nations appear poised to take on the province’s marijuana monopoly — including one Mi’kmaq community that has enlisted Olympian Ross Rebagliati to roll out a “seed to sale” cannabis operation.Sipekne’katik First Nation in Indian Brook, N.S., has plans to grow cannabis and sell it directly to consumers, while Millbrook First Nation is considering retail locations, bypassing the provincial Crown corporation slated to control sales once the drug is legal on Oct. 17.The government says selling cannabis from a privately owned storefront will remain illegal in Nova Scotia, but Rebagliati argues that First Nations lands are federal jurisdiction and they are within their rights to set up dispensaries.One Indigenous group is already capitalizing on the cannabis marketSenators say yes to marijuana bill, but with dozens of amendmentsFirst Nations entrepreneurs big winners of Manitoba cannabis planThe disagreement could set the stage for a potential constitutional showdown over cannabis sales.“This is precedent-setting,” Rebagliati, a gold-medal snowboarder, cannabis expert and entrepreneur said in an interview this week after his second visit to the Mi’kmaq community formerly called the Shubenacadie First Nation. “It’s rather unfortunate (the province) is taking that route.”Canada’s provinces and territories have opted for one of three retail models for over-the-counter cannabis sales: Private, public or a hybrid of the two.Ross Rebagliati of Canada skis to victory in the first-ever Men’s Giant Slalom snowboarding competition Sunday Feb. 8, 1998 in Yamanouchi, Japan. A Nova Scotia First Nation has enlisted Olympian Rebagliati to roll out a “seed to sale” cannabis operation that appears poised to challenge the province’s marijuana monopoly.
TORONTO — A lawyer for Loblaw Companies Ltd. told a Toronto court Tuesday there is no evidence to back the Canada Revenue Agency’s allegations that its Barbadian banking subsidiary was misused for tax avoidance.Loblaw’s lawyer Al Meghji said in his closing arguments at the Tax Court of Canada that Barbados-based Glenhuron Bank is viewed as a bank under Barbadian law, and should qualify for a tax exemption under Canadian law.Department of Justice lawyers had argued during the trial, which began in April, that Loblaw Financial Holdings took steps to make Glenhuron Bank appear to be a foreign bank in order to avoid paying tax.Loblaw, CRA face off in court in $404-million tax avoidance disputeSimplii’s not-so-simple task: Retain 2M customers after CIBC-Loblaws break upGovernment lawyers had argued that the Barbados-based entity did not qualify because, among other things, it mainly invested the grocery giants’ own funds and did not conduct business with arms-length entities.Meghji Tuesday told Justice Campbell Miller that the majority of Glenhuron’s activities involved arms-length entities, such as swap contracts with large banks, and its banking licence from Barbadian authorities is further evidence that it fits the profile of a bank.The dispute centres on the federal government’s reassessments of Loblaw’s subsidiary for several tax years dating as far back as 2001, and could cost the company as much as $437 million according to its latest quarterly report.
KANATA, Ont. — The company that makes the Instant Pot kitchen appliance has signed a definitive agreement to merge with Corelle Brands LLC.The Ottawa-based Instant Brands and Corelle did not disclose financial terms of the transaction, which is expected to be completed during the second quarter of this year.Corelle’s chief executive officer Ken Wilkes will serve as the top executive of the combined company. Instant Pot recall: Why you shouldn’t worry about your beloved pressure cooker melting down Inside the home of Instant Pot, the kitchen gadget that spawned a religion Instant Brands’s CEO Robert Wang will be the new company’s chief innovation officer.Instant Brands, which Wang founded in 2009, will retain its Ottawa headquarters.Corelle, which is headquartered in Rosemont, Ill., manufactures and markets multiple houseware brands, including Pyrex.
A Simcoe boy is putting the ‘son’ in ‘Sonshine and Broccoli.’Seven-year-old Luca Coelho has been acting and modelling for two years, and has been in multiple TV and web commercials. His most recent role is playing the son, Miles, in the new pilot for the children’s show Sonshine and Broccoli.Sonshine and Broccoli is a children’s music group that formed in 2004 and is trying to make the transition into television. Their most recent album, It’s Cool to be Kind, was nominated for a 2019 Juno Award for best children’s album.“When he was really young we noticed he loved being the centre of attention,” said Luca’s mother Karina Coelho. “He loves to entertain, from a very early age he could captivate an audience.”The Grade 2 student has an agent, but happened to find the role through someone he had worked with before. Nick Atef, the father in the television show, suggested bringing Luca in for the part as the son.“It was cool, everyone was really nice,” Luca said about the experience. The pilot was filmed in Toronto back in February of this year.The Sonshine and Broccoli pilot is up against other children’s shows to be the successful recipient of a production grant. Part of the criteria for this grant is proving there is interest in the show. The amount of views, comments, and shares the pilot has on social media will directly impact if it will be produced.The final number of views will be counted at the end of March.“We know how Norfolk rallies together to support one another and would love help to spread the word,” said Karina.The video has already surpassed 41,000 views online. It can be found on the Sonshine and Broccoli website, or on their Facebook fan firstname.lastname@example.org
JACOB ROBINSON / Simcoe Reformer DELHI – At first glance, Zayne Braun is a normal two-year-old.The youngster – who will soon turn three – lives just outside of St. Williams and enjoys things like hockey and the popular cartoon Paw Patrol.Despite looking and acting like a typical kid, young Zayne has been forced to deal with far more than any child should.In October 2017, Zayne was diagnosed with retinoblastoma, a type of cancer that often affects young children and develops from the immature cells of a retina.The family has made countless trips to McMaster Children’s Hospital in Hamilton and Sick Kids in Toronto. In December, they travelled south of the border to Houston for treatment.“He’s had lots of procedures,” said Zayne’s mother Tori. “We’re hoping that the one procedure he had in the States will continue to shrink the big (tumour) and we’re going to be good from here on out.”With the family being forced to put thousands of kilometres (and dollars) into fighting cancer, the community has stepped up to help. On Tuesday, Delhi District Secondary School held two early basketball contests in which students could buy out of class for $2. All proceeds went to the family.They’ll also benefit from a concert on Saturday night that will feature DDSS grad Danielle Ward – winner of Norfolk Has Talent 2017. It takes place at the La Salette Community Church beginning at 7 p.m.“It’s phenomenal,” Zayne’s father Steve said of the community support the family has received. “The level of care and concern is amazing – amazing.”Certainly the last 16 months haven’t been the easiest for the Braun family, but through it all, Zayne has kept smiling.“He’s hasn’t complained, he doesn’t show any outward symptoms, he just carries on with his normal life,” Steve said. “He has no pain, he doesn’t deal with any of that kind of stuff. Half the time we wrestle with a symptom that we see – is it something chemo or cancer-related or is it just him being a two-year-old banging into a wall for example? We’re quite amazed at how well he’s doing, his team of doctors is the same way.”Tickets for the upcoming show are $20 in advance, $25 at the door and are available at Dave’s Variety in Delhi.email@example.com Zayne Braun, 2, stands with basketball players from both Delhi and Valley Heights during a fundraising event Tuesday at Delhi District Secondary School. Alongside Zayne are DDSS seniors Dylan Wells and Zac Faria and Valley Heights juniors Dave Harder and Ethan Peters.